Southernhoop takes a look at the fixtures that matter to your pocket this weekend.
First of all apologies for the lateness of the posting, let’s hope the wine from Mrs Southern’s works Xmas meal last night doesn’t cloud my judgement too.
Anybody following last week will have spotted the winning ‘geographical’ bet, where wins for Portsmouth, Southampton and Bournemouth would have earned you a profit of £35 for a £5 bet.
Following this formula I’ve looked at a similar bet this week.
* Sunderland at home to Portsmouth at 4/5. A decent home record against the team at the bottom of the league.
* Newcastle away at Barnsley at 10/11. Newcastle appear to be running away with the league and have a squad good enough to account for most teams in the division.
* Blyth Spartans (check your maps!) at home to Ilkeston in the FA Trophy at odds of 5/4. Both teams are in the Conference North and the home team should prevail.
*A £5 treble would pay £38.66, a handsome profit and enough to stick your neck out on a Hoops win monday night at odds of 4-1.
The main bet I’ll be doing this week involves teams all at the top of their league, away from home against sides at the bottom.
* Leeds at Brentford at 4/5. Leeds, rather like Newcastle in the Championship, are far and away the strongest side, and should account for 18th place Brentford.
* Charlton at Stockport at 8/11. Despite the odd blip, Charlton are still 2nd and Stockport seem the worst side in the league at present, currently in bottom place.
* Rochdale at Lincoln at 10/11. Top of the table Rochdale should be too strong for 22nd place Lincoln.
A £5 treble would pay a few pence short of £30.
Good luck today to everyone.
Have your say on The Forum
Follow us on Twitter