Date: 2nd September 2009 at 12:26pm
Written by:

Vital QPR – Breaking News
JavaScript must be enabled for the RSS Scrollbox Widget to work.



Scunthorpe United chairman Steve Wharton has poured scorn on suggestions that Queens Park Rangers made an official bid for striker Gary Hooper.

The BBC reported that QPR made a £1m deadline day bid for the Iron hitman, according to the R’s Sporting Director Gianni Paladini.

Steve Wharton has since spoken to the Scunthorpe Telegraph indicating that there was no formal approach for the striker despite tentative conversation.

‘After we played QPR on Saturday, they told us Hooper was a player that they had admired and asked me if he would be for sale,’ said Wharton.

‘I told them the answer was ‘no’.

‘If that constitutes a bid for him, then I suppose yes they have made one. But I have had no further conversation with anyone from QPR since then.’


The one deal that Rangers completed on deadline day was the loan signing of Wigan Athletic midfielder Ben Watson, while four of QPR’s six summer signings were loan captures.

Hooper, 21, has had one previous spell in the Championship with Southend United where he sat in the shadow of former Grays Athletic team-mate Freddie Eastwood.

Successful spells as Leyton Orient and Hereford United saw him move to the Iron last season in a deal worth £125,000.




Have your say on The Forum

Follow us on Twitter

Become a fan on Facebook – Become a fan of Vital QPR

 

3 Replies to “Scunthorpe Rebuke QPR Bid Claims”

Your Comment